Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Doctors update

We saw the ophthalmologist and the neurologist today. For the most part it was a pretty positive experience. Here is the update:
Ophthalmology: The pressure it up again in her left eye, but the doctor is not to concerned because it's doesn't look too swollen. He thinks that the reading may have been off because she was wiggling, and upset at having a plastic probe stuck to her eye. After we got on her contacts (the right one doesn't fit very well and we had to order up some new ones that wont be here for a week and a half ) the doctor spun a white and black wheel in front of her eyes. My heart sank, it didn't seem like she noticed it at all, but apparently I don't know much about eyes, the doctor said that she gave a visual response, kind of like a reflex. He thinks this means that her vision is developing! He said he was very encouraged by this. What wonderful news! I was so thrilled to hear that and it proved to me that even if she isn't looking and responding it doesn't necessarily mean that she isn't seeing.
Neurology: We saw our neurologist who seconded the opinion of Dr. Dries and thought that vision loss would not be Lila's issue. He thought that she would develop it in time! Yeah! He went over her MRI with us and pointed out the area where the corpus callosum should have been and the other area's of her brain. He was concerned however that Lila's head size is small and the ventricles in her brain are large. He thought this could cause him to speculate that Lila has some sort of syndrome. He suggested that we start genetic testing to see if there are any abnormalities. Scary! He also gave us a referral to an early intervention clinic.
The good thing was that we took the dream team to the visits. Quinn's dad and my dad where there. My dad said that I shouldn't focus too much on the syndrome scenario. There may be nothing, or just something that will cause learning and developmental delay. The great news of the day was the vision though. I hope we will continue to jump leaps and bounds.

5 comments:

Barb said...

What great news about Lila's vision! And what a great idea to take your dads with you to the appointments.

~*Felts~* said...

Woot! Woot! That is awesome news!! The testing may show nothing or something small that you will be able to work with when you know the diagnoses. Woot!!

Daphne A. Quist said...

Great News!!! We were thinking of you guys today...so happy to read this!

Tiffy Ann said...

Such great news!
And by the way, you ARE an inspiration. I love you. Take care of that little one!

The Gardners said...

Kristi...
I am so inspired by you and I want you to know that it is so amazingly brave of you to be honest about your experiences and feelings about all this. I'm so proud of you and you are a WARRIOR MAMA. I'm so impressed with your love for Lila and your ability to pioneer this part of your life with such hope and devotion (which is peppered with moments of sorrow and heartache). Thank your for chronicling this difficult journey. You never know where this life will take you.

I miss you and when you are ready and available...I would love to meet Lila and enjoy my amazing and brave friend Kristi!

I love you!!
Kacey