Saturday, April 30, 2011

What we learned this time....


Isn't she gorgeous! I love seeing her tubeless. It only lasted a few moments, but she looked so cute.
Lila won this in the ICU raffle. I'm not really sure what it is. But Quinn took full advantage of it while in the hospital.
The dreaded C pap machine.
My poor baby. Every time we go to the hospital she is poked and prodded. Here she is with bandages on each hand and each foot. What a trooper.

Well, this hospital stay was some what informative and thankfully shorter than the rest. Lila had a kidney infection which made her throw up (the saddest thing ever! Thanks Nikki for being so wonderful!) and get a fever. Actually something that I was excited about because she really has not had a fever with previous illness and the doctors were wondering if her internal thermostat wasn't working due to her "neurological whatever". We checked in on Tuesday and went straight to the ICU. I must say we are starting to get to know the staff in both the ICU and the infant unit.
On Friday we had a huge day of tests. She had a repeat echocardiogram, a swallow study, and an ultrasound of her renals. The Echocardiogram showed that her heart function is looking better but they don't know if that is from the virus getting better or the new heart meds that she is on, so a repeat is needed in a month.
She failed the swallow study. I knew that she was going to but it surprised me how much I was disappointed. That seals the deal that she will need some form of feeding tube. We have to do a PH probe (another night in the hospital) on Tuesday to see if she can have a normal G tube or if she will need to have part of her tummy wrapped around the top of her esophagus to reduce reflux. UGH!!!
The renal ultrasound showed that her kidneys are fine, but we will have to go back for more testing.
The discharge note that we get at the end of our stays are getting longer and longer. The diagnoses that are shown keep getting new additions. So far these are her diagnoses: Encephalopathy, genetic syndrome (which is funny because they have never found anything genetic or abnormal with genetic tests), Abnormal EEG but no clinical szs, developmental delay, agenesis of the corpus callosum with congenital brain malformation (also funny because I don't know what else is malformed besides the ACC ), hypotonia, larynogomalacia, silent aspiration, cardiomyopathy, Bilateral cataracts and latrogenic adrenal insufficiency
I'm feeling pretty defeated. I think we are coming to the end of testing. We will just love Lila no matter what her capabilities or how long we have her.

6 comments:

Cotter said...

I can't wait to get my hands on that baby!! She is so stinking cute!! Quinn is a crack up with his new prize... whatever it may be.

Barb said...

You guys are doing great with Lila and I know your hearts keep getting bigger for all the love you feel for her!

nikki said...

You guys are amazing! It was fun to see Lila without her tube but she is gorgeous either way. We are looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

patsy said...

Love you all!!!!

Shai said...

She really is such a cutie! And you are as beautiful as ever! I guess Quinn might feel bad if I don't say something about him too, so he also looks good! :) I hope I can see you soon, and meet your cutie!

Robbie and Margot said...

She is one beautiful girl kristi! You are a great mother! She knows how much you love her and I know with you and Quinn as her parents she will reach her full potential. You and your family are in our prayers (as well as those Drs so they can help you). Keep the pictures of pretty Lila coming