Friday, May 25, 2012

update on future Kimballs and a round of "Thank you's!"

Update: The amazing and wonderful researchers in England have released the needed information to make pre-implantation genetic testing possible!!! This in itself is a MIRACLE. I cannot express to those of you who are not familiar with research, labs and medical timelines just how incredible this is. The fact that we diagnosed Lila when a gene was not known, to a year later having the sequence in our possession is nothing short of amazing! Our genetic counselor has been researching labs who can create a test (since we will be the first couple to ever do this kinda of testing for Vici)  for us and a lab in Chicago said yes! -I know some people might have ethical problems with us using genetic selection, and believe me, we are not trying to "play God" we feel we are just taking advantage of modern medicine and doing some preventative screening to have healthy children. I hope that those of you who do find this ethically wrong will still be able to support us. I can't imagine having to go through this again. I don't think I am strong enough to say good-bye to a child, let alone two.- So now all that remains is coming up with a substantial amount of money! Here is where my thank you's come in.
If your my friend on Facebook you might have seen a few people post an indiegogo campaign. A co-worker of Quinn's has gone onto the site and made a page called "Lila needs a sibling". Here people can donate to our efforts in raising money for the in vitro process. This has been so touching and so hard for Quinn and I. Asking for help has been one of the most humbling experiences in my life. I was raised that if you can't afford something you don't get it. So when Quinn's friend Jeff made this site I was both touched and very uncomfortable. I didn't want to tell anyone about it. I was being a bit prideful and just wanted to hide. But I have been so touched by the people who have donated that I have to say THANK YOU!!! So far the site has raised over 2400 dollars. That is almost half of what the test will cost to create. I have been overwhelmed by the individuals who have stepped up to show their support monetarily and also the people who have anonymously contributed. Even one of Quinn's high school friends stopped by one night with a very generous check. How amazing all of you are! I am floored by your sweetness. That you would think of my family in these hard economic times and want to help us realize our dream of having healthy children. Lila performs miracles everyday, one of which has been showing me the angels around me. You all are so inspiring. I cannot  thank you enough. I hope you all realize how incredible you are.
Hopefully there is a happy ending for us. Someday I hope to dance at a child's wedding and kiss the sweet cheeks of a grand baby. And I know Lila will be there with me. I have no doubt that my own personal guardian angel will be cheering on her siblings. We will be so grateful for any spirits that will come into our home. We are still pursuing adoption, but we realize that could take years and we are anxious for more little ones. We are excited that there is hope once again in our lives, a future to work for.

7 comments:

Barb said...

This is wonderful news. I will spread the word!

Bart and Michelle said...

Oh, this post has me in tears! Blessings/miracles always follow hardships....and I believe everything you've mentioned here are the blessings! :) Love you guys SO much and I KNOW that huge blessings are in store for you guys ahead! Just keep hanging in there!! xoxo

Courtney said...

This is incredible! Many many prayers for you all! We pray that all is a success!

nicola addems said...

Hi kristi, Quinn and LIla
I wanted to email you to thank you for your beautiful website and for sharing your story. We are the addems family from England and too have a child with a rare neurological condition. I have been in contact with tennille and Jett and saw Lila on there blog, she is so beautiful. It is wonderful to hear you have had such good news regarding a sibling for Lila. We are lucky enough to have miller who is 5 and without doubt I can say he has made our journey with Rudy easier, without him I would too use genetic testing and IVF to have another child. I recently made a website for Rudy as reading other families stories, like yourself has defiantly been a comfort to me. Http://rudyaddems2.webs.com. All our love and prayers nicola, Stuart, miller and Rudy x x x x

Zane and Lexi said...

Such great news! I can't wait to spread the word and let others know how incredible you guys are. We are certainly praying on our end and we know how blessed those little spirits are to be coming into such a wonderful family!! Sending lots of love :)

blythe said...

Amazing news! I'm so happy for you guys! We will be thinking and praying for you guys. Love you.

CMC said...

PGD is amazing!! yay!!