Saturday, August 10, 2013

I hate the word rare!

So I got a phone call from the ER today. The doctor said that Lila has this rare big growing in the cultures they took, so he would call her in another antibiotic. Well our pharmacy called and said since its so rare they do not carry it. Primary's called back and said they had it and to come on in and it would be waiting. I thought a drive would be nice to I headed up. Once  I got there they said they didn't have anything for Lila. So after many phone calls they came back with the meds. The pharmacist made sure Lila was not tube fed. I said she was, he said she can't have the drug then. So many minutes later he came back with a new drug. Then he proceeded to tell me that this drug is dangerous and can cause joint damage and tendon rupture. I said she was non mobile, he said well maybe it's ok then. To which I pointed out that she can still feel pain! Ugh!!!! He said its either this med or an ER visit with IV meds. I hate those kind of decisions. I wish Lila had come with an owners  manual. And I hate the word rare! If everything is so rare why do they keep happening?! 

1 comment:

Jett Powered Foundation said...

Oh my goodness…this sounds ALL too familiar! I swear the left hand never talks to right when dealing with pharmacy issues. I'm sorry you had to deal with that! By the way, we were really touched that you saved the lantern and used it for Lila's birthday. So cute.