Saturday, July 31, 2010

Baby Lila update...







Look at all that blonde blonde hair!!

Baby Lila is the most beautiful sweet baby! I am so in love with her!! She is doing well, still in the nicu but making progress. She just needs to maintain her oxygen saturation levels and meet her eating goals and then we will be able to take her home. The doctors think that maybe Tuesday of next week might be the day but we are just waiting on Lila. It has been hard not bringing her home, especially now that the hospital kicked us out for good. I miss her so much. You never picture leaving the hospital with out your child. But the staff at St Marks has been amazing and we know that she is in good hands.

The Labor story
So Monday I was having painful contractions all day, but they were random and usually brought on by movement. As the day wore on they became more frequent and more intense. When Quinn got home from his softball game we went to Target to get a robe, slippers and other "essentials". The pain from the contractions made me have to stop and catch my breath. I debated whether to go in and finally we packed up and went to the hospital at 9:45. They checked me and I was at a 3 1/2 we waited an hour and checked again, still a 3 1/2. I was so sad. I thought that I was just a wuss, they asked if I wanted to have pain meds and go home. I really didn't want to have to debate having to go back to the hospital at another time. Luckily my doctor was the one on call that night and he told me to go walk around the hospital for an hour. When I got back I was at a 5. Yeah! So I was admitted and given an epidural (heaven on Earth!!) Some of the family showed up around 2 and we all settled in for a long wait. Dr. Watts broke my water sometime in the morning (I can't remember when) When he broke my water he told me that there was some meconium (spelling ?) in my water and asked if I knew what that meant. Unfortunately for me I did. I had a cousin who's baby died from breathing in the black tar like substance years ago. Dr. Watts tried to reassure me that it would be fine and then left while I still dilated. I was beside myself. As I tried not to panic I asked Quinn if he would give me a blessing. He gave me the most beautiful blessing. I tried to have faith that all would be well but I was terrified. I pushed for an hour and the nicu was on stand by. Luckily for me the doctors and staff were incredible and Lila only got a small amount in her lungs. They thought she was completely fine but as time went on the nurses wanted her to just be checked out by the nicu staff. She was having trouble maintaining her saturation levels, and she has been there ever since.

Having this child has been the most incredible experience of my life. I knew i would love her when I saw her but I never could imagine how much. She is so amazing. I also never realized how amazing this experience would be for Quinn and my relationship. I have never felt closer to anyone. Quinn has been so incredible during this time. He is my rock and is going to be an incredible dad. I have loved watching him fall in love with our daughter. He is so cute with her. He adores her and thinks everything she does is just the cutest think ever. I have seen a whole new side of him. (And just in case you were wondering, for all the friends that I have told that I have never seen Quinn cry, he sobbed when Lila was being born ) It was so tender and special. I have fallen more in love with Quinn. There is nothing like watching the man you love hold your daughter.

Thanks to Kelli for helping me during labor, it was so nice to have you there reassuring me. Thanks for taking pictures and for doing those cute posts!!

Thanks to all the friends and family who have visited and for all those who are keeping Lila in their prayers. We have amazing friends and family!! We are truly blessed......

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Kristi, Lila is beautiful, I am so excited for you! I also want to tell you how sorry I am that you had to go home from the hospital without your baby, I know from experience how bad that sucks! I hope you can take her home soon, because every day in the NICU is an eternity!!! you and your family are in my prayers, hang in there.

Kelli said...

Yeah! I have been waiting for YOUR post. I love your new pics. She IS absolutely gorgeous!

blythe said...

i love seeing all these pictures of beautiful lila. keep them coming! i hope you get to bring her home really soon!

Shai said...

Congrats! She is so beautiful! I love the blonde hair! I don't know if I have ever seen a newborn with hair that blonde!!! I hope you get to take her home soon!!!

Lynn and Barbs said...

Congratulations on the birth of you beautiful baby girl! We are so happy for you.
Barbara

One Woman's Thoughts said...

You are abeautiful family. I wish upon you many blessings and alife of happiness and love.

Barb said...

She really is such a beauty! I am sorry that you are separated from her. That is really hard. I will keep her in my prayers so you can be reunited soon!

Jenna Marie said...

Lila is so beautiful! I am so excited for you and Quinn. You will both be amazing parents. By the way you look Gorgeous!!